Brexit Advice Home Page

Update on 12th April 2019

Based on the negotiation process to date, the EU and UK have agreed a further delay to Brexit until 31st October 2019.  The UK can leave the EU earlier than this date, if a withdrawal agreement has been ratified by MPs.  The dates on our website reflect a leave date of 31st October 2019, but this may change if the UK chooses to leave the EU earlier than this date.

Update on 29th March 2019

Based on a vote today in the UK Parliament, the current EU withdrawal agreement was rejected.  This means that in UK Law the date of Brexit is now set as the 12th April 2019.  We will provide further advice and update our pages after the 1st April once the Government releases further information on the routes ahead.

Update on 25th March 2019

Based on recent negotiations, EU leaders have agreed to let the UK postpone its exit from the EU. The UK still plans to leave the EU on the 29th March 2019, unless one of the following outcomes is agreed:

If the UK Government accept the currently negotiated UK Exit deal, then the proposed new Exit Date for the UK will be 22nd May 2019. If this date is agreed, we will update the advice on our Brexit pages and our EU Settlement Scheme pages, to ensure you have the correct legal advice for the situation.

If the UK Government do not accept the currently negotiated UK Exit deal, then the proposed new Exit Date for the UK will be 12th April 2019. Again, if this is the agreed route for Brexit, we will update our advice and EU Settlement Scheme pages with correct and up to date advice.

It is important to note, that at this time the UK Government has not changed any of the legislation around the EU Settlement Scheme, although there are proposed changes due to be enacted on the 7th April 2019.  If these changes come into effect we will updated our advice accordingly.

Original Text from 28.02.19

Following a referendum in June 2016, the UK is currently in the process of negotiating an exit from the EU.  The UK plans to leave the EU on the 29th March 2019, when a 21-month transition period will start, to help smooth the UK’s proposed exit from the EU.

The University is fully committed to supporting every student who is affected by Brexit, and the advice below will be regularly updated by the University Immigration and International Student Advice team as soon as decisions by the UK Government are made.

There are currently 4 potential outcomes to the negotiations between the UK and the EU. They are;

  • No Deal Brexit,
  • A Brexit with the currently negotiated Withdrawal Agreement,
  • A Brexit with a different Withdrawal Agreement and
  • The UK rescinding or putting a pause on Article 50 and choosing not to leave the EU at this time.

The advice on this page will only focus on advice surrounding a no deal Brexit and a Brexit based on the currently negotiated Withdrawal Agreement.  This may change in the future if the UK Government publish further guidance on the other options.

We have also published a Glossary of Brexit Terms you may find useful.

This Page was Last Update on 25.03.19

The UK Government has made it clear that the CTA and the rights between the UK, Ireland and the Crown Dependencies will not be affected by the UK leaving the EU.

Irish and British Citizens will continue to have free travel within the CTA without the need for immigration control or residence / work permits.

Irish citizens do not need to obtain settled status in the UK.

Last updated 12.04.2019

Students who are already in the UK, and who wish to stay in the UK are advised to speak with the Immigration and International Student Advice team, after reading the below, for individual advice on their personal situation.

If there is a Withdrawal Agreement, although you do not have to, before travelling you may wish to apply for the EU Settlement Scheme, before the 31st October 2019. Those who enter the UK before this date will be eligible to apply for the current EU Settlement scheme, and the IISA team will be offering individual appointments from mid-March to assist with these applications, if you would like University support and guidance.

If you choose to travel outside of the UK after the 31st October, but before you have applied to the EU Settlement Scheme you will need to carry proof of residency in the UK when you return. We would advise that, in addition to a student status letter, you carry one of the following documents:

  • Proof of entry to the UK before 31st October 2019 i.e. flight tickets – this is the best form of proof you can have. Alternativly
  • Tenancy Agreement dated before 31st October 2019

The Government has stated that if there is a Withdrawal Agreement, then the EU settlement scheme will continue to run for those who enter the UK before 31st December 2020.

As the UK Government has not agreed to the current Withdrawal Agreement, we would advise all students who wish to remain in the UK after their studies, to apply for the current EU Settlement Scheme.

You can find guidance on how to make your application on our dedicated EU Settlement Scheme Application Page.  Appointment booking information is also available on that page.

If the UK exits the EU with no deal, we will provide advice and guidance to all students by email of what to do next.  The University is working hard to ensure that plans are in place to protect all of our EEA students regardless of the outcomes of Brexit.

If there is a Withdrawal Agreement, then during the transition period of 31st October 2019 and 31st December 2020 (although this may be extended), EEA nationals and their eligible family members will still be able to enter the UK without requiring a visa.

EEA Nationals who enter the UK during this time will be able to apply for immigration permission via the EU Settlement Scheme. These Settlement Scheme applications will need to be made before the end of the transition period if you wish to stay in the UK after the end of the transition period.

If the UK exits the EU without a deal, then only those EEA Nationals who were resident in the UK before 11pm on the 31st October 2019 and have permitted absences will be able to apply for the Settlement Scheme.  Further information about these restrictions is available on our EU Settlement Scheme page. If you were not resident in the UK and no deal with the EU is reached, then you will be permitted to enter the UK for up to 3 months to travel, study or work.

At the end of this 3-month period, if you wish to remain in the UK, you will need to make an online application for 'European Temporary Leave to Remain'.  If your application is successful, you will be granted immigration permission (limited leave) for a period of 3 years.  The limited leave cannot be extended, lead to Indefinite Leave to Remain or lead to settled status under the current EU Settlement Scheme.

If you wish to stay in the UK after this three-year period, you will be required to make an application under the immigration system in place at that time.

The UK Government has noted that from the 1st January 2021 it expects a new Skills-Based Immigration system to come into effect, and it is likely all EEA nationals will need to apply for leave to enter the UK in the same way other nationalities currently do.

The UK Government has, to date, only published a proposed Skills-Based Immigration System paper.  Once the Government has confirmed that it intends these proposals to become law, and publishes guidance, we will begin to advise all students and applicants on the new system.

Please see our Advice on the EU Settlement Scheme Page for further information on eligibility, applying and the rights associated with the EU Settlement Scheme.

UKCISA, the UK Council for International Student Affairs, has published extensive guidance on Brexit, the current rights of EEA and Swiss Nationals and their families, and the UK's proposed Immigration routes for after Brexit. You can access the advice on the UKCISA website.

The AIRE Centre is a specialist charity whose mission is to promote awareness of European law rights and assist marginalised individuals and those in vulnerable circumstances to assert those rights. The IISA team may refer you to this charity if you have a complex case or need specialist advice.

Contact the IISA Team

The University Immigration and International Student Advice team can provide individual advice for your own individual situation.  You can find contact details on our Unilife Page.

You can also use the Ask an Adviser tool on our pages to live chat with an adviser.  Please note you will need your student number to use this service.