Working in the UK after your studies

If you are an international graduate from a non-EEA country you will need permission to undertake paid or unpaid work as a graduate in the UK once you have finished your studies. There are various visa schemes that allow some people to extend their stay and work in the UK. To find out more about these schemes you can use the links on the side of this page.

The information provided here on UniLife is generally a brief guide only and you should check the recommended websites to obtain up to date and comprehensive information regarding these options.  

Further Information

The Careers and Employability Service can help you with

In addition to the information available via the link above, the Careers Service also holds specific information relevant to International Students

  • CVs
  • Application forms
  • Covering Letters
  • Interview techniques
  • Job hunting
  • Finding a placement / work experience

International Student Hotlinks

Prospects website- a comprehensive guide for international students, which covers studying in the UK, employment and immigration regulations.

International Jobs Online- the most comprehensive portal for international graduate job vacancies in the UK, enabling students to search for graduate vacancies as well as find information on working in the UK and country-specific careers.

UKCISA– information and advice for prospective and current international students.

UK NARIC – information on the comparability of international and UK qualifications.

Home Office – information on visas for working in the UK.

British Council- information about training and work experience opportunities.

Skillclear - information and services offered for most immigration and visa areas.